Teaching Excellence Award
To be eligible to compete for the Manahan Family Award for Teaching Excellence in Business, a faculty member must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time tenured or tenure track faculty member with at least three years service at Illinois State University
- Receive support for their candidacy from their department chair
- Previous recipients of this award are ineligible for consideration until a minimum of five years has elapsed since receipt of prior award.
All candidates must submit a complete, up-to-date curriculum vita as part of the application process. In addition, candidates must document the scope and quality of their teaching by preparing and submitting a teaching portfolio.
Please submit application HERE.
At a minimum, the teaching portfolio must include the following:
- A statement of the candidate’s teaching philosophy.
- A statement of the candidate’s teaching responsibilities for the last three years.
- A summary of the candidate’s student evaluations of teaching placed in the context of departmental norms.
- A summary statement by the department chairperson about the candidate's teaching. This statement should include:
- The candidate’s DFSC ratings in teaching for the previous three years.
- An evaluation of the candidate’s teaching contribution to the department and the discipline as a whole.
- Representative course materials from at least two different instructional settings.
- Additional portfolio elements, though optional, are desirable and may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Honors, awards, or other forms of recognition received for excellence in teaching.
- Evidence of professional development activities undertaken in regard to teaching .
- Statements from colleagues who have observed the candidate’s teaching.
- Evidence of student achievement as a direct result of the candidate’s teaching.
- Information about new teaching materials or techniques developed
- Evidence of activities undertaken to assist colleagues with their teaching
- Statements from former students who have experienced the candidate’s teaching
Information on the preparation of teaching portfolios may be found in the following references:
- Seldin, P. 1991. The Teaching Portfolio: A Practical Guide to Improved Performance and Promotion/Tenure Decisions. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing Co., Inc.
- Seldin, P. 1993. Successful Use of Teaching Portfolios. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing Co., Inc.
Candidates are encouraged to consult with the Center for the Advancement of Teaching (CAT) for additional information about teaching portfolios and their preparation.
- 2018-19: Chris Tamm - Finance, Insurance and Law Department
- 2017-18: Daniel "Eli" Sherrill - Finance, Insurance and Law Department
- 2016-17 : Tamra Davis: Marketing Department
- 2015-16: Hulda Black: Marketing Department
- 2014-15: Elango Balasubramanian - Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 2013-14: Rachel Birkey - Accounting
- 2012: Kim Judson - Marketing Department
- 2011: Dale Fitzgibbons - Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 2010: Meredith Downes - Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 2009: Rosie Hauck - Accounting Department
- 2008: Masoud Hemmasi - Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 2007: Jeri Beggs - Marketing Department
- 2006: Gary Hunter - Marketing Department
- 2005: Dan Goebel - Marketing Department
- 2004: Joe Trefzger - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 2003: John Bantham - Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 2002: Joseph Solberg - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 2001: Steven Taylor - Marketing Department
- 2000: Kevin Celuch - Marketing Department
- 1999: Joseph Trefzger - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 1998: Michael Humphreys - Marketing Department and Richard Ringer- Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 1997: Thomas Haynes, BTE and Michael Williams - Marketing Department
Prior to 1997 the award was known as the "Distinguished Teaching Award." Recipients of this award are listed below.
- 1996: Jill Attaway and Rodger Singley - Marketing Department
- 1995: Joe Solberg - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 1993: Tim Longfellow - Marketing Department
- 1992: Kevin Celuch - Marketing Department
- 1991: Linda Showers - Marketing Department
- 1990: Gerald McKean - Accounting Department
- 1989: George Glisan - Marketing Department
- 1988: Dixie Mills - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 1987: Jim Cox - Marketing Department
- 1986: Mona Gardner - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 1983: Max Rexroad - Accounting Department
- 1982: Patricia Marcum-Grogg - Management & Quantitative Methods Department
- 1981: Carson Varner - Finance, Insurance & Law Department
- 1980: Edmund Ficek - Finance, Insurance & Law Department