Information for Students
Internships are arranged between the student and employer. The Department of Accounting in conjunction with the Career Center offer an Accounting Only Career Fair in the Fall and Spring semester. Students can also arrange internships with employers through contacts outside of the career fairs.
- Students are eligible to receive academic credit for a qualified internship. If the student chooses to receive academic credit for their internship, they must apply to the internship to the Internship Coordinator for an eligibility determination. If the internship has sufficient academic rigor the student can earn academic credit. Students must work a minimum of 135/270 hours to earn 3/6 hours of academic credit. Students typically earn 3 or 6 credit hours for their internship efforts.
INTERNSHIP EVALUATION CRITERIA
In effort to assure the internship has sufficient academic rigor, the Department of Accounting has developed basic criteria for an acceptable internship. In most, cases an internship will be approved if it meets the following criteria:
- Working in accounting area of a company
- Receive supervision from accounting profession
- Assigned to accounting related tasks
- Compensation is an indicator of professional level activity
If the internship has sufficient academic rigor, the internship coordinator will forward your approved information to the Accounting Academic Advisor who will issue a permit to register for the internship course. Permits to register cannot be issued unless your internship is approved for academic credit.
Your academic advisor will guide you on which Professional Practice (Internship) course you should register. The online application includes submission of:
- Written description of the internship duties
- Acknowledgement of risk/external experience certificate
- Professional Practice Health Insurance Certification
- Verification of Internship from employer
Fall and Spring Semesters: by 4:00 pm on the 10th day of the semester.
- Summer by 4:00 pm on June 30th (if it falls on a weekend, first Monday in July)
- Students are encouraged to submit internship applications as soon as they are notifies of their internship.