The College of Business Academic Advisors focus on creating an environment that promotes student responsibility and successful development of future professionals by:
- Promoting development and responsibility through active student participation in academic planning.
- Developing individualized academic plans based on the needs and goals of each student.
- Assisting in the interpretation of university policy, and curricular requirements.
- Collaborating in the selection of appropriate courses needed to progress toward graduation.
- Encouraging student participation in out-of the-classroom experiences (internships, externships, study abroad, student organizations and leadership activities) to promote personal development and life-long learning.
- Referring students to appropriate campus resources.
- Make decisions about academic, career, and personal goals
- Develop plans to meet goals
- Learn degree requirements (know which catalog you are following)
- Schedule and keep appointments with advisor
- Prepare for advisement sessions (prepare a list of questions)
- Seek help at the first sign of problems; do not expect problems to be resolved without action
- Explore ways to enhance your education
- Clarify and assist students regarding their academic goals
- Review plans to reach goals and suggest alternatives if goals are unrealistic
- Help students learn rules and requirements necessary for graduation
- Be available for appointments on a regular/predictable basis
- Explain curricular options, answer registration questions, teach students how to choose and schedule classes
- Help explore problems, seek solutions, and make appropriate referrals
- Identify resources and opportunities. Make appropriate referrals