Accounting Scholarships & Awards
The Department of Accounting & Business Information Systems Awards are made annually to majors in our programs on the basis of academic performance. The awards are sponsored by a number of companies and organizations on a year-to-year basis.
Eligible students are selected as award recipients based on academic performance, including Grade Point Average (including transfer hours and transfer GPA if applicable) and grades in accounting and BIS courses.
Eligibility requirements to receive a Department of Accounting & Business Information Systems Award are the following:
- The student must be a declared accounting or BIS major as of the beginning of the Spring semester.
- The student must have completed at least 72 credit hours as of the beginning of the Spring semester.
- If an Accounting major the student must have completed Accounting 231 with a grade of 'A' or 'B.' If a BIS major the student must have completed a minimum of two BIS courses (excluding ACC 270) with a grade of 'A' or 'B.'
- The student must have completed at least twelve credit hours at Illinois State University as of the beginning of the Spring semester.
- The student must be enrolled for at least twelve credit hours at Illinois State University for the Spring semester.
2023 Scholarship Applications must be submitted by midnight on Sunday - February 12, 2023.
The application materials to be submitted by the student will consist of the following:
- Complete the online application form
- Upload your copy of the student's current résumé.
- Upload a short essay describing the student's background, accomplishments and interests, and career plans.
Department of Accounting Leadership Scholarship for Accounting or Business Information Systems Students
The Department of Accounting now has Leadership Scholarships available for Incoming Freshman and Transfer students who have demonstrated leadership qualities in High School or Community College. The scholarship amount is $1,000 and is a one-time award. Scholarships will be awarded as funds are available.
Apply online here for the Department of Accounting Leadership Scholarship.
Department of Accounting William A. Fortsch Scholarship for Accounting Students
The Department of Accounting is pleased to offer the William A. Fortsh Scholarship to Incoming Freshman students who have demonstrated prior academic excellence and have an interest in pursuing accounting as a career. The scholarship amount is $1,250 per semester over a five-year term that is renewable on a yearly basis:
- Student must remains an accounting major at Illinois State University
- Maintains an overall grade point average of 3.0
There wil be a zoom interview for the finalists. Two Scholarships will be awarded beginning with the Fall 2023 semester. It is expected that one of our alumni will provide career mentoring during the term of the scholarship.
The scholarship application in ongoing.
- Complete the application
- Upload a complete copy of your high school transcript.
- Attach a 100 word maximum essay explaining how this scholarship will benefit you.
Apply online here for the Department of Accounting William A. Fortsch Scholarship for Accounting Students
Accounting Scholarships External to Illinois State
National Society of Accountants Scholarship Foundation: The NSA Scholarship Foundation Board of Trustees awards an average of 30 scholarships per year in the amount of approximately $1,000 each for accounting students entering their third or fourth year of studies, and approximately $500 each to students entering their second year of studies. In addition, the outstanding student in the competition, designated the Charles H. Earp Memorial Scholar, receives an additional stipend and an appropriate plaque. Who can apply: students majoring in accounting with a "B" or better grade point average, students enrolled in a degree program at an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, only undergraduate students are eligible, only U.S. or Canadian citizens attending a U.S. accredited business school, college or university may apply. Applications and appraisal forms may be obtained by contacting NSA.
AICPA Student Scholarship: Competitive award of $2,500 scholarships for two outstanding AICPA student affiliate members pursuing studies in accounting, finance, or information systems. An application is available online at the AICPA website.
The deadline for the scholarships is December 4. Applications submitted after the deadline will no be considered.